↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Hot 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
BaronDefenders

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Santorini Black
I’ve just discovered this thread. What a life that wagon has had! Full credit to you for resuscitating it on more than one occasion! Hopefully ownership becomes a bit easier from now on. Charlie

1949 Series 1 80 (SOLD)
2002 Td5 90 (SOLD)
2008 Freelander 2 (SOLD)

1958 Series 2 88 Pastel Green (2019 LR Legends Best Restored)
1983 V8 110 Limestone (Previously owned by Tom Sheppard MBE)
2004 Td5 90 Santorini Black (Td5INSIDE Powered & Rebuilt by CSK)
2012 Puma 110 Zermatt Silver (Overlanding Build)

Instagram: @BaronDefenders
Post #1030462 4th Apr 2024 10:18am
L110CDL

England 
Thank you for the update, nice to see her back together again Thumbs Up

Have a great time doing the LE-JOG, as i did back in 2015 ish Very Happy

If down and around my area, be sure to drop in for a cuppa Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1030556 4th Apr 2024 10:14pm
Teario

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Rioja Red
As always guys, thanks for all the comments and encouragement.

L110CDL wrote:
If down and around my area, be sure to drop in for a cuppa Thumbs Up

Sounds good to me! All going well we should be down near you in 2-3 weeks, I'll drop you a message when we're nearby and see if we can meet up.

After getting back from Wales with a few issues, I replaced the injector 4 return pipe, swapped the temp sensor and fixed the sensor wiring. The diesel leak was fixed but the temperature gauge still wasn't working. We headed up to Scotland anyway.

Click image to enlarge

On a rainy morning we pulled up to the John O' Groats sign. I was looking forward to this, having been here around 8 years ago with my other Defender.

Click image to enlarge

I couldn't get the camper up to the sign this time, there's a barrier in place now.

Our plan was to head south down the west coast and over Applecross but on the way we started hearing a bad rattle. After a bit of investigation I saw the belt tensioner had loads of play in it, I don't think it had much life left. So we aborted the Applecross plan and made a more direct route back.

On the way we discovered Three Lochs Drive, a nice little route around some parkland with lochs and the ability to stay over night. So we did.

Click image to enlarge

Once we got back I fitted a new tensioner and belt, then another new temperature sensor which fixed the gauge. It's a relief being able to see that working again, it's been off since I got the vehicle back from Hungary. The first new sensor I got had a black band on it and didn't seem to make a difference but the second one had a green band and is working great. All the information I can see online seems to say black is for Defender and green is for Discovery but it's the green one that seems to be right in my case.

That's the last of the current issues fixed now so I'm back to feeling good about the reliability and less filled with dread at every new noise...

With a bit of extra time, I also removed the DC-DC charger from the electronics box. I've never even switched it on the whole time we've been travelling so I'd rather not have cables running from under the driver seat into the electronics box in the back.

At the same time I time I tidied up all the water pipework. Initially I wasn't sure how much I'd need so I cut everything conservatively. It makes it hard to get the grey water storage out though and now I've got a better idea how it's all holding up, I got rid of the excess.

Before

Click image to enlarge

After

Click image to enlarge

Now I'm pretty much just fiddling about with everything and getting itchy feet until we set off again at the weekend.
Post #1033554 1st May 2024 10:27pm
L110CDL

England 
Thanks for the pics and nice to see you made it to the " sign post " and what looks to be the same weather that the wife and i had in 2019 Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1033747 3rd May 2024 9:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234