↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Transit clutch and Output shaft change, couple of questions.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
I see that now Ian Thumbs Up its not the same as mine then, so assume its the 2.4 with a cat on the front pipe..the dpf's are a bit bulkier I believe...
im just still curious about the need to remove it when doing a clutch on the 2.2 engine,,,
the manuals suggest you do , but as I was changing my exhaust I removed it anyway , so its a bit academic, id just like to know from someone who has done it and kept the dpf...
Luke at lof clutches suggested that if you split the boxes and took them off separately you got enough room to just about get away with leaving it in place and still get the gearbox out...
its not just the dpf box but its got temp sensors attached which also hinder removal if you cant remove them..
Post #1034185 8th May 2024 3:56pm
andy63

Picture of my exhaust after removal showing the dpf👍

Click image to enlarge
Post #1034186 8th May 2024 3:59pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I read a recent post where someone with a 2.2 left the the DPF front section in place but moved it to the side to gain clearance. IIRC they removed the clamp to the turbo, removed the DPF mounting bracket bolts, disconnected the centre exhaust section from the front section, then pushed the front DPF section to the nearside of the vehicle to provide room to remove the gearbox.

I’ve done a lot of searching but can’t find the post i read . I will keep looking but hopefully the member that posted the method will spot this and reply with details.
Post #1034230 8th May 2024 8:43pm
andy63

Thanks Ian.. As usual you come up with the goods👍.. As I said it's matterless to me now but it will make a difference to someone with a 2.2 when they come to drop the box..
The alternative is a time consuming job getting to the engine mounts to allow the engine to be raised.. Its tedious enough without adding that to the list..
Thanks for taking the time👍
Post #1034232 8th May 2024 9:05pm
piechipsandpeas

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Ianh wrote:
I read a recent post where someone with a 2.2 left the the DPF front section in place but moved it to the side to gain clearance. IIRC they removed the clamp to the turbo, removed the DPF mounting bracket bolts, disconnected the centre exhaust section from the front section, then pushed the front DPF section to the nearside of the vehicle to provide room to remove the gearbox.

I’ve done a lot of searching but can’t find the post i read . I will keep looking but hopefully the member that posted the method will spot this and reply with details.

It wasn't me Ian but I have done it when replacing the clutch a few years ago and can confirm that the front section of the exhaust with the DPF on a 2.2 doesn't need to be removed from the vehicle. It needs to be disconnected at the engine and wiggled out of the way, not a lot of room but just enough.
Post #1034297 9th May 2024 1:33pm
Waka56

Germany 
andy63 wrote:
Ahhh I see you are sorted.. And they are out👍
I had a quick look and whilst I can't actually see the whole way round the housing I'm fairly confident it is a 10 bolt job if memory serves me right..
Is yours a 2.2 with dpf..
If so did you have to remove the dpf to drop the box??

2.4, but I still removed nearly the full exhaust line, was getting annoyed with it in the way 😂 Making my Defender great again. (Or trying to at least xD)
Post #1034510 12th May 2024 8:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234